Sunday, July 31, 2011

A near death experience!

The week before last I went on a little adventure with my staff. Our boss took us for a staff bonding trip...and boy, was it ever bonding!! Unfortunately the weather was not great. It was cool, windy and rainy:( I don't have any pictures of our little trip.

We went White Water Rafting near Lytton. It was my boss and his 2 friends and the rest of our staff is 9 ladies. All the ladies were a little hesitant to go(except one). We left the office at 8:30am and our boss provided us with starbucks coffee, muffins, danishes, etc. The drive was about 2.5 hours long. As we were getting close to our destination we saw some of the rapids from the highway and we got even a little more nervous. The river was so HIGH and RAGING fast!!

We got to the resort and had lunch and got all suited up in our wetsuits, lifejackets, rain gear, and helmuts. It was still very cool and started to pour rain. We drove the bus to the spot where you get into the boats and we were all freezing and wet. Not a great start:(

We got into the boat. All 10 of us could fit in one boat. Oh and I forgot to mention it was the raft boat that you paddle, not the motorized boat. We got instructions on how to paddle and safety and then we were one our way.

That's when everything went wrong...we were 3 minutes into our trip on the boat and we hit our first HUGE rapid and the boat flipped over and we were instantly all in the cold raging river!!! It all happened so fast that I didn't even realize what was happening. It was hard to breath because the water was so cold and the river was carrying us away. I popped out of the water to catch my breath and then I would get sucked back down. I finally got a hold of the rope that was around the boat(good thing I was listening to the safety instructions!). Our rafting guide and one guy flipped the boat and we were able to get back in. Oh, and it was cold, pouring rain with 50/km hour winds! We all survived, but it was probably one of the most terrifying moments of my life. We paddled to the side of the river and 3 girls went back to the resort and 3 of us went on the motorized boat and 4 people stayed in the paddle raft.



It was meant to be a fun staff trip, but I think our boss felt so bad about what happened. Of course, it was not his fault and we definitely bonded as a group!! I'm sure we will talk about it for many years.

We drove back to Merritt to have dinner and then headed back home. We made it back to the office around 8:30am. So that was my big adventure!!

On to other news...we moved Marty to a big boy bed last week. It was strange taking the crib down, since we have had it up since before Megan was born. It's definitely the end of an era for us. It's a little sad to see my babies growing up:(

The first night was great, he didn't get out of his bed and he was SO happy to be in the big boy bed! The rest of the week was TERRIBLE. He gets out of bed and opens the door or turns on his lights at least 20 times and we have to go and put him back into his bed. It is exhausting!! I don't remember having this kind of trouble with the girls when we moved them to a regular bed. I am seriously tempted to put the crib back up or put him in a playpen...but I know he needs to learn to sleep in a bed. So we will keep going and hopefully he learns to stay in his bed soon!!



We've had beautiful weather here lately and we've enjoyed evenings at my parents pool, playing in the backyard and BBQ's with friends!! Finally it feels like we have had a bit of summer:)


The lice around here are gone and I'm SO thankful for that! I'm still a little paranoid and have not let the kids play with some of their stuffy toys. And I'm still doing laundry a lot with hot water...just to make sure.



And that's all for now...

3 comments:

kelly ens said...

Wow Tanya - SCARY!!!!! :( glad you're alright.
hope Marty gets a bit smoother at sleeping in a big boy bed; persistence pays off (which I am reminding myself of while potty training...)

tina said...

Tanya, so glad that you are OK! that would have been SO scary. That's funny about Marty, I think he might like his new found freedom : )

Kirsten said...

So scary Tan!! Malcolm had a very similar thing happen right when we were dating. He texted me and said, "almost died today. Will talk later!"

And in terms of Marty!!! HE IS SO GROWN UP!!! I am mourning it a bit too. Your kids are awesome. Glad you are getting some sunshine to enjoy.