Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Remembering Opa

Last Sunday night we got a call from Jeff's cousin telling us that Jeff's Opa had a stroke and was at the hospital. We didn't know the extent of the stroke until later that evening when Jeff's dad phoned and told us that Opa had maybe 24 hours to live. We were shocked! It just makes you stop and think about how quickly life can change. To think that Opa was fine last Sunday morning and then gone that night.

This is one of my favorite pictures, Megs and Opa having dinner together on our deck!
My heart is sad...especially for Jeff's mom and her brother. But, I am also joyful in knowing that Opa is SO happy to be with Jesus. I am so thankful for the hope we have...for I can't imagine losing someone without having our hope in Jesus. Megan was really sweet when we told her that Opa had gone to heaven and she said "now he gets to be with his wife, he must be so happy." (she passed away about 25 yrs ago).

My parents looked after the kids on Thursday night and Friday. Thanks so much mom and dad for doing this for us...we really appreciated it! Marty totally adores my dad. As soon as he sees him, he crawls right over to him and wants to be held. I think he prefers my dad to me:(
Jeff's brothers and their wives came home for the funeral. It was so great to all be together and to remember Opa. The funeral was on Friday and it was a beautiful service! It was great to hear stories and see pictures of Opa's life. He was a great man. Eric put together a beautiful slideshow for the funeral. Thanks for doing that Eric, it was very special and I know Opa would have loved it!

Jeff and Eric went for a morning run on Saturday before everyone else came over for breakfast...(Megs took this pic!)
On Saturday morning we had the whole family over for breakfast and then we went to Opa's house to look through some of his things. It felt wrong just to be at his house without him being there. Gabby kept asking us "where's Opa?". She doesn't quite understand it.

Playing games with the family....
Very intently playing Dutch Blitz...Two little zombies on the couch...On Sunday night, Jeff's parents took us out for dinner. We got a babysitter for the kids and we went out for a late dinner. It was really nice for us to go out without the kids and just relax and enjoy dinner without all the interruptions. Thanks so much mom and dad!

And now we are getting back into routine. Next week Meggie starts ballet again and then the week after that both Megs and Gabby start swimming lessons. I'm not thrilled about being in a bathing suit, but hopefully I'll spend most of the time under the water! I would love to put Marty in swimming lessons too, but things get a little tricky with schedules when you have 3 littles ones! I'll probably wait until Fall and then Megs will be in kindergarten.

Speaking of kindergarten...we found out last week that the school near our house is only offering full time kindergarten:( I'm not happy about this, but I'm not really willing to drive her across town everyday just so she can be part time. There are only about 5 schools in town that are offering part time, but by next year all schools will be full time. Also, I want her to start kindergarten at the school she will continue to go to, because she will make friends and I wouldn't want to move her after one year. I think she will be fine with full time because she loves people and she loves to learn(and I think she is quite bright!). It's just that I think 5 years old is too young to be in school all day...and I'm really going to miss her all day and so will Gabby and Marty.

Anyways, I need to clean my house before my little guy wakes up! Hope you all have a great week!

3 comments:

Greg said...

Sorry to hear about Jeff's Opa. I remember when my Grandpa died and the sadness of missing him, but it was great to be able to celebrate the lives of these great men, and remember them for the contibutions they had in our lives.

kelly ens said...

sorry to hear about Jeff's Opa - losing someone is never easy :(
yeah, the whole full-day kindergarten...*sigh* i'm not a big fan, but what can we do about it? Well, we're putting taeya in preschool next year now, but i'm still not super excited about it.

tomandlynette said...

I'm sorry to hear about Jeff's Opa's death. That's wonderful that you have so many special memories and pictures with him. God be with your family as you remember and mourn and rejoice. Thanks to God for the hope and future he gives!